Coming out of winter, are you feeling a bit slow or sluggish? Do you feel like your sleep, mood, or recovery is off? Your stomach doing weird things, and does your digestion feel a bit off? ATP Science has created the Gutright Challenge to help us Spring Clean our guts! Minor changes to diet and lifestyle, and you can get back to feeling 100%.
What can contribute to poor digestion?
The reasons why poor digestion occurs are almost endless; from poor diet choices, highly processed food to soil and plants lacking nutrients with modern "fast" farming practises, keeping a healthy guy in a modern-day environment is a HUGE challenge for many people. Without the proper nutrition and supportive supplementation, you can end up with more than just a heavy feeling in your tummy; a deficiency in polyphenols, fibre, and other essential nutrients can make you feel sluggish, brain dead, and cause ongoing gut troubles such as leaky gut.
What's a Modbiotic®?
According to our friends at ATP Science, "a Modbiotic® is a group of natural compounds including polyphenols that help to maintain a healthy diverse microbiome". A Modbiotic® can assist in modifying the microbiome, acting differently to probiotics. ATP argues, if you're chowing down tons of probiotics, you may be adding strains your body has too much of or simply unnecessary ones.
If you're ready to give your body a reset and get your Gut Right read on!
What is the Modbiotic® diet?
It is recommended to follow the Modbiotic diet when doing the Gut Right Protocol. The Modbiotic diet prioritises simple carbohydrates over complex carbs and sugars - simple carbs are quicker to digest and therefore less likely to ferment and feed intestinal organisms, which cause those unwanted gut disturbances.
How to do the whole Gut Right Protocol
1. Take one scoop of Gutright Original by ATP Science 3x a day for 10 days. Mixing your Gutright in water is ideal, or you can have a 'Modbiotic® diet-friendly juice'.
2. Ensure you follow the Modbiotic diet and eat from the approved list of foods!
3. Finished the 10 days? Go back to only 1 serve daily, you can use Gutright Original or Gutright Daily!
4. To maintain a healthy gut after your 10 days: Slowly reintroduce complex carbohydrates that are normally in your diet. Choose 1 type of complex carbohydrates to add back in to your diet every 1-3 days, and note your body's response.
5. Keep eating polyphenol-rich foods in and make sure to continue following the 5 eating rules (See Below)!
Remember these five eating rules!
1. Buy local
2. Produce that is in season
3. Organic, free-range, or biodynamic
4. Sit down to eat and chew your food!
5. Eat the entire food, meaning the peels, pulp, seeds, fibre and skins
Sample Meal Plan:
Breakfast: Homemade yogurt* made with pure apple puree + chopped walnuts + drizzle of honey & topped with cinnamon
*Ferment the yogurt over 24 hours to remove the lactose (or you can use coconut!)
Lunch: Roast meat & veg - think beef or chicken + veg like zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, and pumpkin
Dinner: Lentil soup made with celery, onions and carrots
Snacks: Nuts like pecans, almonds, walnuts, nut butter, simple fruit, most raw vegetables